Saturday, December 5, 2009

Walt Disney: Ten Days of Remembrance

Walter Elias Disney was born on December 5, 1901, and passed away on December 15, 1966.

The "Ten Days of Remembrance" is the tribute "holiday" I have informally celebrated in honor of Walt Disney's life, or more specifically, the impact and influence his vision and work has instilled in me.

Each year during this ten day span, I typically read a book detailing Walt's life, research to learn more about a specific studio project, and watch a memorable Disney film each day. Over the years, the nightly viewings have been presented chronologically, by genre or theme, or even randomly. The purpose has always been centered around the spirit of the experience rather than a particular practice or protocol.

I think Uncle Walt would proudly approve.

It may seem a bit eccentric, but this "season" is always a unique opportunity for me to personally celebrate the arts, imagination, and inspiration. Although it has previously been a time for individual reflection, my wife and children have since come to appreciate how much it has meant to me over the years, and now actively participate with enthusiasm. It's truly become a fun family tradition.

I hope that you may also be encouraged, in your own time and manner, to remember those that have inspired and challenged you to follow your dreams.

Until next time...

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment